Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"Give A Little Bit..."

So in church this past Sunday, I was so happy when I heard its message for that day!  The message that was broadcast to thousands was that if we all just gave a little, just think of what a difference that can make!  In the very first entry of this blog, I mentioned that not only would that make a difference, but just think how "possible" that is!  I think that too many think along the lines of, "Well, I don't have much, so I really cannot make that much of a difference."  YES, YOU CAN!  There are so many ways to be giving and charitable.  Perhaps it entails buying a hungry person a meal, or cleaning out your closet to donate clothes to the impoverished, or leaving a bit of an extra tip to a food-server who may be barely able to pay their bills in this economy...no matter what the action, the value lies in the fact that you took the time to embark on it.  We have all heard that "Every little bit helps," and it is true.  Provided that it is being given to the right people, the right organizations, every little bit makes a positive difference.  Without action, there can be no change. 

Our church, Mariners, has embarked on a ten-year journey, and has challenged its members to hop aboard and give a little bit more to see if we can change the poverty levels in Orange County so that no child goes hungry, no child goes uneducated, and no one is left homeless.  With God, this is possible.  But, I believe that God uses people to fulfill his purpose.  That is the concept of "free will" -- surely, He can intervene at any time and utilize His majestic power to make things as He wants them to be, but He is hoping that we will figure it out.  Some may call it a test, I call it following His desire.  Now I know that there may be Agnostics or Atheists reading this and you may be uncomfortable or in disagreement with my references to God, but please know that we are all in this world together and we can all do our part to make it a better place.  My beliefs belong to me, and I would never purport to tell another "what to believe"; However, I would be remiss if I did not give praise where I believe praise is due...I have been blessed and I am forever grateful for the abundance that has been given.  So please do not be turned off by my faith, because it won't make a bit of difference to the world if we have a disagreement as to what we believe.  What will make a difference is if we can together alleviate suffering, hunger, or strife in the life of another by choosing to be generous. 

In giving, even if you don't think that you have made a difference, I promise you that you have.  One of my favorite quotes is, "To the world you may be just one person, but to one person you just may be the world!"

So here's to the courage to believe that you can change even the slightest bit of some one's life in a positive and magnificent way by giving a little, no matter how small!  And for you, the blessings shall unfold...

No comments:

Post a Comment