Sunday, April 10, 2011

"Invest In Giving"

My family and I attended our church's Saturday night service last night, and it was fabulous!  It was right along the lines of this blog, and so "in sync" with how my heart feels on a daily basis.  If you read the beginning postings of this blog (2010), you will notice how I quoted our Pastor Kenton Beshore as saying, "If you have been blessed, in any way, you have been blessed to BE a blessing."  Best quote ever!  I look at my two beautiful, healthy children and my first thought is "Thank you!".  I see my husband and how hard he works for us, and the roof over our heads, and I again think, "Thank you."  I recognize the abundance of family and friends in our lives, and again a resounding, "Thank you!"  These are just a few examples of the blessings that so many of us have been given. 

Last night, Pastor Kenton urged everyone of us to recognize how God has invested in us with every blessing that we can count, and that it is to be "re-invested", so to speak, in giving and generosity toward others.  He was speaking directly to my heart.  I am not a perfect person by any stretch, but I do make conscious observations of how much I have been blessed in this life.  I believe that it is a responsibility to take care of those less fortunate with the gifts and abundance that have been provided.  This blog project was created to instill that awareness in my children so that their adult life will hopefully contain the joyous heart that is created through acts of giving.  I am so grateful for that opportunity -- yet, another blessing.

This blog has been on somewhat of a break due to the busy-ness of life...but the donations are still being placed in the jar, and we are still 100% mindful of this project's purpose. 

This recipe was delicious and easy -- perfect for us busy Moms!  Crock-Pot needed...I hope that you enjoy it as much as we did.  It was published in "Real Simple" magazine (January 2011).

coffee-braised brisket with potatoes and carrots

1 medium onion, peeled and quartered, stem end left intact
1 pound new potatoes (about 12)
1 pound medium carrots, cut into 2 1/2 inch lengths
2 1/2 pounds beef brisket, trimmed
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1/2 cup brewed black coffee
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Country bread

1.  In the bottom of a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker, combine the onion, potatoes, and carrots.  Season the beef with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and place on top of the vegetables.
2.  In a small bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, coffee, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar; Pour over the beef and vegetables.  Cover and cook on low until the beef and vegetables are tender, 7 to 8 hours.
3.  Slice the beef across the grain and serve with the vegetables and sauce, sprinkled with the parlsey.  Serve with the bread, if desired.

Serves 4

No comments:

Post a Comment