Tuesday, January 19, 2010

"Italian-Style Roast"

This recipe was given to me by my dear friend, Jen, and it is from "The New Creative Crock Pot Slow Cooker Cookbook."  It was a tremendous success!  I received universal "thumbs up!"  I was blessed to have my long-time girlfriend Heidi here visiting from Oregon for the kick-off party for this project.  

In the pictures that you see of the jars below, you will notice that there is already money in them.  This generous gift of $20.00 was sent to us from our wonderful Nancy!  Nancy is my sister Goo's mother-in-law and I adore her!  When I told her of this project, she sent us the most beautiful card wishing us luck on our mission to help others.  Thank you from the bottom of our hearts, Nancy!!!  Also, please know that that twenty dollars will feed many.  I was astonished at researching some of the world hunger sites, that for a dollar a day, you can feed an entire family.  Imagine just how possible that is!

Well, as God works, we received yet another donation from my friend Heidi of another $20.00!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!  So far, we have collected $42.06 and it is only day two of this mission.  I am optimistic; I am hopeful!
Total cost of recipe (ingredients I needed): $20.66;

Total amount contributed to "Donations Jar": $2.06;
Total amount collected to date: $42.06.
The recipe was quite easy to follow...gotta love the Crock-Pot!  A great recipe for those sport-filled days or when you just want to "fix it and forget it."  (I believe there is a cookbook out there with that title). There was some chopping involved, but very easy to make.  Here it is for any of you that want to try it:

Italian-Style Roast

1-6 oz. can tomato paste
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
2 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 lbs. chuck roast, trimmed of any excess fat
1-16 oz. can tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
1 medium potato, chopped
1 large celery stalk, sliced
2 bay leaves

In a small mixing bowl, combine the tomato paste, garlic, onion, soup mix, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper.  Rub this mixture all over the chuck roast and place the roast in the Crock Pot slow cooker.  Add the remaining ingredients and any leftover tomato sauce.  Cover; Cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (or on High for 4 to 5 hours).  Makes 6 servings.

*You may double all the ingredients for the 5, 6 or 7-quart Crock Pot slow cooker. 

I served this with orzo pasta that I tossed with two humungous handfuls of freshly grated parmesan cheese!  Delicious!!!  (Also, some fresh steamed broccoli because as I learned from all my years of waitressing, "No green is obscene!")

So, today is a new day and a new recipe is in the mix for tonight's dinner.  Hopefully, thumbs-up are in order. Have a beautiful day everyone, and please say some prayers for the Haitian people...donations will be made there as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment