Thursday, February 11, 2010

"Hallo Deutschland!"

Well, hello.....GERMANY!  I have always loved the taste of sauerkraut, especially with bratwurst on a hot bun with the addition of spicy mustard!  "Finger-lickin'-good", as my Dad would say!  My love for food most definitely stems from his bloodline.  If you are lucky enough to know my Dad, you know that you will always be accompanied with laughter and good story-telling while in his company.  His passion for life is infectious and admirable.  Never a complainer, although he has encountered health issues that would leave most of us stagnant in the distance.  My Dad possesses such a zest for the experiences that this life has to offer!  Never mind if he probably shouldn't be eating a certain food for dietary reasons--he will say, "Thin may be in, but fat's where it's at!"  So often while growing up, my sisters and I would bow our heads as we shook with laughter at his behavior when it came to food...licking his fingers, or "bowl" for that matter, never letting anything go to waste as he was "appreciative"!...Appreciative for what he had.  I guess that apple didn't fall far from the tree...

So in honor of my Dad's ancestors, a German recipe was in the works for this night's dinner.  (It's from the "Fannie Farmer Cookbook").   It happened to also be my Mother's birthday, February 9th, and she also has German blood in her. Therefore, "To my parents", who gave me a blessed and appreciative existence!

"SPARERIBS AND SAUERKRAUT"
4 cups sauerkraut, drained
3 tart apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thin
1 onion, cut in thin rings
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 cup dry white wine
4 pounds spareribs, trimmed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Spread the sauerkraut over the bottom of a shallow baking dish.  Cover with the apples, onion rings, bay leaves, salt, and pepper.  Drizzle the wine over and lay the spareribs on top.  Cover snugly with foil and bake for 1 hour.  Uncover, and bake another 20 minutes.  Cut the ribs into 3-rib portions and serve each over a spoonful of apples, onions, and sauerkraut.

Good night to you all, or as in Germany, they say "Gute Nacht euch allen!"

No comments:

Post a Comment