Thursday, February 11, 2010

"rigatoni with sausage and tomato cream sauce"

Again, the title of this recipe is purposely put in lower-case letters as that is how it appears in the magazine...Who came up with that by the way?  Who thought it best to intentionally put grammatical errors in publications that are read by many, without the needed disclaimer for our grammar school-aged children?  Oh, the subliminal things that our children are exposed to...some good and some not-so-much!

My late grandmother, God rest her soul, was the queen of grammar.  She would send me spelling words in lists, and if I could define them and use them in a sentence and send the list back to her, then I would receive $5.00.  She inspired me to want to learn and she taught me how to spell.  She taught me how important it is, and sure enough to this day, grammatical errors or "typos" just jump off the page at me like fingernails on a chalkboard sound.  She read nearly a novel a day, and was so touched when her grandchildren took an interest in doing the same.  Oh, how I wish she could be here today to sit and read the daily endeavor of this project.  She would cry, no doubt, at the goodness that shall come from our efforts.  I have no doubt that she is watching me in the kitchen...

This meal was a winner!  It is hard to go wrong with pasta, especially in this family!  The recipe is published in "FOOD & WINE quick from scratch italian cookbook".  I hope that you all enjoy it as much as we did:

rigatoni with sausage and tomato cream sauce
(Serves 4) -- I doubled it and ended up with enough to feed a village (Hopefully our donations WILL!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pounds mild or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (from a 15-ounce can)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1/4 chopped fresh parsley
1 cup light cream
1 pound rigatoni
Grated Parmesan, for serving
1.  In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat.  Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a fork, until it is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the sausage from the pan. Discard all but 1 tablespoon fat.
2.  Reduce the heat to moderately low.  Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.  Add the wine and cook until it almost evaporates, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the sausage, tomatoes and salt.  Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.  Add the pepper, parsley and cream.
3.  In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the rigatoni until just done, about 14 minutes.  Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce.  Serve with grated Parmesan.

(They capitalized the cheese name, but not the recipe title)...Sorry, it just bugs me, the inconsistency.  I wonder why my daughter sometimes capitalizes at the beginning of a sentence and sometimes doesn't.  She has probably seen it done both ways!  Oh well, knowing that I can't change everything that bothers me, I'll focus on the thing that I can which is donating money to feed the homeless and the hungry.  Surely, that will be a consistency that my children will be proud of, and Gandhi will know that someone was listening.

"Be the change you want to see in the world."--Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment