Friday, February 12, 2010

"linguine with tuna, walnuts, lemon and herbs"

Most people might shun at the sound of the word "tuna" as it is not the most-favored fish, but I know that most do like the tuna-fish sandwich or the ever so popular "tuna melt" in restaurants.  I thought that the children would like to try this type of fish as they really enjoy salmon and mahi-mahi.  Does saying it twice in the name mean that it will be twice as delicious???  I think so.  I think so.

My sister Madi said that this was her favorite dish so far!  Sophia gave it a huge thumbs-up and Joe "liked" it -- wouldn't say he loved it.  Giovanni just hands-down hated it!  He dislikes things sometimes just for the sake of doing so, I have noticed.  I thought that the flavors were a faultless combination with the lemon seizing the day!

As we enter the Valentines' weekend, I am so appreciative of my husband who went out of his way to buy me flowers beforehand, along with the most beautiful card I have ever read.  He has to be out of town this weekend due to a death in the family and wanted me to feel valued in his absence.  These are the things that matter.  Yes, life is hard, marriage is work, children are challenging, etc. etc. etc.  But when we stop to really observe all that we have to be thankful for, the blessings are overwhelming!!!  So for every difficult moment that life has dealt, I acknowledge the abundance of easy, care-free, loving moments that were also there and ARE there to make it all worth it!  Life is a gift, and as my dear friend Theresa has known, it surely changes things when you realize the type of gift that you have been given.  So, I hope to raise my children to use their God-given gifts in helping or serving others--Their life was not only a gift to me, but the most prized possession I could ever desire! 

February acknowledges Presidents Day, along with Lincoln and Washington's birthdays, and of course Valentine's Day.  Presidents Lincoln and Washington were all about doing what is right and valuing others, and Valentine's Day is about love...hmmm, I "love" how that all fits into the theme of our project!  Guess the Founding Fathers and Cupid knew all along what is the "answer" and the "reason" behind our existence.  You go, February!...You have a fan in me!

linguine with tuna, walnuts, lemon and herbs
3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1 pound linguine
1/3 cup olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 6-ounce cans tuna packed in oil
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (from 2 lemons)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1/2 cup mixed fresh herbs, such as parsley, chives and thyme

1.  In a small frying pan, toast the walnuts over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes.  Or toast them in a 350 degree F oven for 5 to 10 minutes.
2.  In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the linguine until just done, about 12 minutes.  Drain.
3.  Meanwhile, in a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over moderate heat.  Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.  Stir in the tuna and its oil and break up the tuna with a fork.  Remove from the heat.  Toss the linguine with the tuna mixture, the lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, pepper, herbs and the toasted walnuts.

1 comment:

  1. Your writing is inspirational and a great reminder of all we have to be thankful for!

    Thank you, Jennifer!

    Love you,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete