Monday, February 8, 2010

"Savory Stuffed Zucchini"

Hello to my 9 followers...I am so sorry that it has been a few days since my last blog.  I left on Friday for a teaching trip to Chicago...I was so blessed to have chilled weather, but nothing unbearable whatsoever.  Usually, at this point in the calendar year, I am dealing with snow, cancelled flights, wind problems, etc.  The cold crisp air was so refreshing, and my wonderful high-school friend, who has hotel connections in Chicago, hooked me up with the most awesome room that was much cheaper than BarBri's corporate rate!  So, I lucked out and had a comfortable stay.

However, I did not sleep well, as a Mother never does...The day before I left, Giovanni had a 104-degree temperature that we knew was related to a virus...but his heart rate was accelerating constantly which was very concerning.  We took him to the Pediatrician who wanted us to watch it closely, and even made an appointment for us at the cardiologist in the event it didn't come down.  I know that heart rates can accelerate when the body is in fever-mode, but it is always scary with your kids.  Thank the Lord, he is just fine, and his body reacted EXACTLY as it should have once the fever came down.  So grateful that his little immune system is stronger because of it!

The night before I left I made delicious stuffed zucchini.  I did not have tiime to blog about it, but wanted to definitely post the recipe.  I have so many vegetarian friends, and I respect their choices immensely, so this one is definitely made in their honor.  It is from an issue of "Family Circle" magazine, yet I do not have the publication information as this is a recipe I snagged from some waiting room, somewhere.  At least I am honest--wait, what about the ripping it out?  The receptionist did say, "Go ahead, we don't need it"...

I am glad that I did, because we enjoyed it and money is going into our jars as a result...

Savory Stuffed Zucchini

5 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
3 Tbsp. "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" Spread
1 medium onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. dried oregano leaves, crushed
1/4 tsp. grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Scoop out pulp from 8 zucchini halves;set aside.  Arrange zucchini halves on baking sheet.  Meanwhile, coarsely chop remaining zucchini and pulp.

Melt spread in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook chopped zucchini and onion, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.

Add red pepper, garlic and oregano.  Cook, stirring frequently, 1 minute; cool slightly.  Evenly spoon vegetable mixture into zucchini halves.

Top with cheese.

Bake 30 minutes or until tender.


2 comments:

  1. Jennifer,

    This looks wonderful. I think I may do this for my next Book Club!

    Thanks for all you are doing . . .
    Love you,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dear Nancy:

    You are an angel here on Earth, and a complete blessing in my and our family's life!!! Your contributions to our jars and your letters to Sophia and Giovanni are going down in the history books! We will keep them forever...as a daily motivation and as a keepsake for our project memories! You are so special and I can't say in words how much I truly appreciate your support for our project!!! I LOVE YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete